First Five Out
I was super lucky to have the opportunity to speak at AGDA Student Council’s First Five Out event. “Go your own way.”
Preparing for a talk is always a little daunting and this was no exception! I was truly so excited to share on the topic of going your own way, because I feel like I have done just that! Moving from a graphic design role into pursuing illustration and freelance was daunting and scary, but so so rewarding. Here are some of the advice and thoughts that I shared on the night.
Below is a scan of my little note that I wrote, where I jotted down my goals for 2018, straight after I quit my job at thankyou!
What going your own way means to me:
- You don’t have to justify your path to anyone else
- Your own unique path is beautiful
- Shamelessly tell people what you do and what you want to do
Going my own way meant that I had to let go of the ideas that I had about myself! Suddenly I learnt to ask myself questions on what it was that I wanted to do and not what I should do. And I had to also accept myself and everything wonderful about me that made me unique!
Have a why not attitude
- Put yourself out there
- Try things that scare you
Find your tribe
- Find mentors who are a few steps before you
- Be around people who are also pursuing their passions